Jewish Monument (1967) Loeki Metz
The Jewish Monument In memory of the more than 12.000 Rotterdam Jews who were deported during the war, is located in the inner garden of the town hall. This monument was initially on the facade of the synagogue on ABN Davidsplein in Blijdorp. The sculpture group was unveiled there on 20 September 1967. But within 24 hours the image had to be removed again, because some orthodox members of the Jewish congregation objected to the Second Commandment, which prohibits the making of carved images. In the end it was decided in 1979, after lengthy negotiations between the sculptor Loeki Metz, the Rotterdam Art Foundation as the commissioning party and the Committee of Honor Debt to the Jewish residents of the city, to relocate the monument under the arches in the city garden. It Jewish Monument was adapted by Metz to the new location, where Queen Beatrix unveiled it on October 27 1981.
Louise Estelle Julie, or Loeki Metz (Amsterdam, 1918 - Rotterdam, 2004) was a sculptor and medalist. She mainly worked with bronze, wood and silver and made project art and idea art. Her style was impressionistic and figurative. She was friends with Mari Andriessen and spent a long time in Amsterdam, The Hague, Paris and Rotterdam. Her education was at the Rijksacademie in Amsterdam. Metz is best known for its reliefs and tokens.