Neptune (1941) Adriaan van der Plas
Two sculptures have been placed on either side of the entrance signs of the Van Ghent Barracks. The limestone sculptures were made by the Rotterdam artist Adriaan van der Plas. In addition to drawing and graphics, he also focused on the realization of monumental sculpture for monuments, bridges and buildings. These plastics from Neptune are an example of such a monumental assignment, which he received during the construction of the Van Ghent barracks. The construction of this barracks on the Toepad started in 1938, but was only completed after the war. On December 10, 1945, the barracks, named after the 1st commander of the Marine Corps Lieutenant-Admiral Willem Joseph baron van Ghent, came into use. The two images are shown to their full advantage on the landing. With the stone plastics Neptune reference is made to the relationship with water. In Roman mythology, Neptune is the god of the sea.
Adriaan van der Plas (Rotterdam, 1899 - Kerkrade, 1974) specialized in religious art and design. He studied at the Rotterdam art academy. Van der Plas received a bronze medal for nude figure drawing and he received three Royal Grants. From 1921 to 1923 he made study trips through Europe and then settled permanently in Rotterdam. He drew delicately and with care, made prints and paintings, including murals for De Doelen in 1935, a Way of the Cross in front of St. Bavo in Heemstede. In 1940 he made the mural 'Viribus Unitis' for the Jungerhans family's emergency shop on Mathenesserlaan.