Wilhelmina fountain (1898) Henri Evers & Simon Miedema
De Wilhelmina fountain was founded in 1898 in honor of Queen Wilhelmina's accession to the throne. It is a design by architect Henri Evers, the architect of the Rotterdam city hall whose name can be read on the back of the fountain. The bronze statues on the monument are by Simon Miedema, a sculptor who also made the façade statues for the White House on the Geldersekade. He created the winged female figure on top of the column and the ship's bows, which protrude from both sides of the monument like sprinklers for the fountain. The plaque reads: Tribute to Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands at Her Troonsbestijging. The stone basin served as a catch basin for the water from the fountain. Later also as a planter, because at the beginning of the nineties the roots of the chestnut tree (probably also planted in 90) probably caused cracks in the basin. Thanks to the efforts of the Noordereiland residents' organization and with the support of the Feijenoord district and the Historical Rotterdam association, the statue was restored in 1898.
Henri Evers (Ellecom, 1855 - Wassenaar, 1929) was a Dutch architect. After his studies in The Hague and Antwerp, he worked in Brussels, Vienna and Budapest. In 1885 he returned to the Netherlands and settled as an architect in Amsterdam. In 1887 Evers became head of the Architecture Department of the Academy of Visual Arts in Rotterdam and from 1902 to 1926 he was professor at the TU in Delft. In his architecture we see ideas of Berlage and Jugendstil characteristics. The Rotterdam City Hall was designed by Evers and built between 1914 and 1920.