Untitled (1900) Simon Miedema
The Regentesse Bridge over the Wijnhaven is a design by municipal architect DB Logemann. This bridge is a national monument and a tangible reminder of the pre-war grandeur of the area around the Wijnhaven. The design of the bridge is inspired by the 19e century Parisian bridges; a cast iron construction with three arches and natural stone railings. Four sitting lions sit on the four corners of the bridge, each leaning over a coat of arms and guarding the bridge as it were. That is why the bridge is also called 'Vierleeuwenbrug'. A confusing nickname, because the former Koningsbrug, which was a little further on at the Oude Haven, also bore this name. The Regentesse Bridge is a true eye-catcher thanks to the addition of sculptor Simon Miedema. In addition to the four lions with coats of arms, Miedema was also responsible for the four lanterns on the granite columns that beautify the bridge. The bridge was a gift from the Citizens Committee to Rotterdam. The Regentesse bridge was named in 1899 after the regent Emma when she and her daughter Wilhelmina officially opened the bridge.
Simon Miedema (Harlingen, 1860 - Rotterdam, 1934) was a Dutch sculptor who studied at the Academy of Visual Arts and Technical Sciences in Rotterdam. Miedema was active in an architectural society, to which he was awarded commissions for sculpture and ornamentation in Renaissance and Louis styles. His style remained 19e century. He has made several sculptures in the Maas city, including the facade images of the White House on the Wijnhaven.