Energy (1950) Jo Uiterwaal
This image used to be on the 25 kV switchhouse of the electricity factory on the Galileïstraat, part of the then Municipal Energy Company Rotterdam (GEB). In 1955, the switchhouse was demolished and the statue was preserved on the site. The sculpture group Energy was placed at the end of 2006 at the office of E.ON, the current owner of the power plant. The facade plastic is 3,5 meters high and made from fired clay by sculptor Jo Uiterwaal, who made the work for architect Ad van der Steur. The plastic consists of three figures and symbolizes the development of electricity. The standing man in the middle holds a torch. The figures on his side are kneeling with attributes such as a wheel, pickaxe, metal chain and an owl. Read Dick van der Velden's research in the booklet here An image of a central. The story of a facade ornament, which was made on the occasion of the placement of the image in 2006.
Johannes Wilhelmus, or Jo Uiterwaal (IJsselstein, 1897 - Utrecht, 1972) has mainly been active as an artist in Utrecht from 1944 to 1969. He was a sculptor and furniture designer and made architecture-related plastics. Figure representations and religion were his most important themes. Uiterwaal regularly worked for architect Sybold van Ravesteyn, among others at the NS stations of Gouda, Vlissingen, Roosendaal and Nijmegen. For the Galileistraat Electricity Factory he worked together with architect Ad van der Steur.