Mother and child (1965) Hank Hans
This fine natural stone statue by artist Hank Hans was made in 1965 for the Protestant Christian primary school 'Het Oude Land' on Traviataweg in Hoogvliet. The image of a Mother and child has been relocated in 2013 to a park in Hoek van Holland. The mother stands a little higher with her left leg than with the right and she is holding a book (Bible) in her hand, which her daughter, a little lower, has just handed over. The girl looks questioningly at the mother, as if begging for one more story.
Sculptor Johanna Hendrika (known as Hank, Hanke, Anke) Hans (The Hague, 1919 - Rotterdam, 2015) was trained at the Academy of Visual Arts in Rotterdam before the war. In 1940 she moved to Amsterdam, where she attended the Rijksacademie and was taught by sculptor Jan Bronner. In 1945 she returned to the port city, where she took her best-known image Stronger through combat made. The 3,5 meter high marble work is located in the hall of the town hall on Coolsingel and is a gift from Queen Wilhelmina to the city of Rotterdam. During the reconstruction period Hans also worked a lot on commission for architects such as Kees Elffers and Joost Boks on facing bricks and reliefs. She also produced various works of art for schools outside of Rotterdam and made medals and medals for, for example, the Rotterdam Art Foundation and the Boekenweek. Hank Hans lived in Kralingen and was still active as an artist until a great age. She painted and made watercolors. People are central in her oeuvre, but nature is also an important source of inspiration.