Two columns (1977) Gust Romijn
Gust Romijn painted in the 40s and 50s in the style of the Cobra movement and was closely involved in the foundation of the artist collective Liga Nieuw Beelden. A work like The infinite house is a rendition of the Cobra-like style, which is almost organic in character. This style is at odds with his later work in public space, of which these two red columns are also an example. Romijn designed smooth abstract shapes in bright colors. This change of style betrays an interest from object to space. This sculpture Two columns was commissioned in 1997 for the rebuilding of the Energy Hall by means of the percentage scheme. In 2003, the artwork was moved from its original location on Abraham van Stolkweg to Roel Langerakweg, where it served as a monumental marker for the entrance to the sports park. In 2016, the artwork was removed from this place and stored in the depot for restoration. The artwork will probably be placed back at the new Gust Romijn Bridge (2016) in Charlois. This location is close to the former home and studio of Romijn.
Gust Romijn (Noordwijkerhout, 1922 - Dreischor, 2010) worked as a sculptor, graphic artist and painter. Together with Louis van Roode and Piet Rovers, he belonged to the Window group, consisting of young Rotterdam graphic artists. In that period he also joined the Liga Nieuw Beelden. He took part in the World Fair in Brussels (1958). Romijn was awarded the National 5 May Graphics Prize (1955) and the Prix Suisse (1957). The artist lived and worked in Rotterdam for most of his career, until he moved to Dreischor on Schouwen-Duiveland in 1982.