Untitled (1949) Adri Blok
This L-shaped building was built between 1944 and 1949 and was designed by the architects Cornelis Elffers and BJK Cramer. The engine school for merchant shipping was located here. There are various references to this in the large protruding facing brick of Adri Blok to the left of the entrance. Bottom left and top right, commercial ships are depicted on beautifully executed triangular waves, referring to the port area, which was then located here and which is still important for Rotterdam. It is connected by a large circle in the middle, which depicts a technical element from the engine room. At the top left is a weapon visible. The low relief has a nice constellation of shapes and elements. The building was later used by the Shipping & Transport college. Since 2014, there is cafe-restaurant De Machinist, among others. The building is a national monument.
Adriana Cornelia Blok (Rotterdam, 1919 - 1990) was born in Charlois and received her education at the academy of visual arts in Rotterdam. She was one of the first sculptors in the Netherlands to make concrete reliefs. There are several bronze statues of her in Rotterdam, such as Koos Speenhoff and the Drum bearing.