The load carrier (1950) Han Rehm
The load carrier was unveiled on September 2 by Mayor Pieter Oud. The statue was on the facade of the rebuilt warehouse 'De Firsteling' on the Rijnhaven of Pakhuismeesteren (which was later taken over by Steinweg). It concerned a symbol for the completion of the reconstruction of the tank installation at Eerste Petroleumhaven, the completion of the warehouses Celebes, Borneo and Sumatra on the Wilhelminakade and the renovation of 'De Firsteling' - all owned by the Pakhuismeesteren company. A poem was engraved on the base, written by the oldest partner HGJ de Monchy:
"What was meaninglessly destroyed
by the cowardly violence,
Is up to deez 'last stone,
restored with god's help. "
As part of the Kop van Zuid renovation project, 'De Firsteling' was demolished. The load carrier by artist Han Rehm, however, was spared and took place on the Waalhaven ZZ industrial estate next to the Steinweg entrance on Parmentierplein. Several initiatives have called for a return of The load carrier to his old surroundings and on November 13 2014, the image of this dock worker with a heavy burden on his shoulders was put back on Wilhelminapier and unveiled by Mayor Aboutaleb. This is a replica, which was donated by Steinweg to the Municipality of Rotterdam. The Steinweg logo, which is known worldwide, is an illustration of this load carrier.
Artist Han Rehm (Rotterdam, 1908 - Rotterdam, 1970) studied at the Academy of Visual Arts in Rotterdam. In addition to being a sculptor, he was active as a medalist. Among other things, he made a medal for Leiden University (1958). Han Rehm is best known in Rotterdam for his work The load carrier on the Kop van Zuid.