Untitled (1932) Willem Brouwer
Amsterdam beer brewer Heineken opened a large brewery here in 1882, after businessman Pincoffs persuaded him to set up business in Rotterdam. The building was built in 1932 by architect Willem Kromhout, with an art-deco interior on the inside, and a brick outside that depicts beer brewing. The facing brick was made by sculptor Willem Brouwer. The facade relief is expressionistic and socially tinted. It shows the harvest of the grain to the transport of the barrels of beer. On the far left in stone is the word 'Heinekens' carved and on the far right 'Brewery'. The current tenants of this national monument now work in a place where Freddy Heineken once had an office.
Willem Coenraad Brouwer (Leiden, 1877 - Zoeterwoude, 1933) was a sculptor and ceramist. He studied at the drawing school in Leiden and went to work in 1894 in the studio for book decoration and letter cutting of his brother-in-law. After four years he left for Gouda, where he went pottery at Goedewaagen. Around 1900 he joined the 't Binnenhuis artists' group. In 1901 he founded his own ceramic company in Leiderdorp. He collaborated with architects such as Berlage, Oud, Dudok and Wils. He was a member of the Dutch Circle of Sculptors and is considered an innovator in the field of sculpture. His sculpture is also at the Peace Palace in The Hague.